The Chapel of St. Bede the Venerable was built 1957-1960.  The architect, Marion Manley, was the first woman architect in the State of Florida.  The Chapel is a marvelous example of MIMO (Miami Modern) architecture that was in vogue in the decades after World War II.

The Chapel  was named for Bede, an English monk who lived 673-735 A.D.  Bede wrote An Ecclesiastical History of the English People, for which he is regarded as the father of English history.  Bede was a scholar who wrote over sixty books, for which reason he was considered to be an ideal patron saint for a college chapel.

 

The interior of the Chapel is characterized by simplicity.  The large wooden crucifix over the altar as well as the fourteen Stations of the Cross along the side walls were all carved by the Haitian artist Pierre LaFontant in the late 1950's.

A side entrance off the Chapel patio provides 24/7 access to folks wanting to come inside to pray or just seeking a few moments of quiet.

Because of the Chapel's fine acoustics, many students from the Frost School of Music choose the Chapel as the venue for their recitals.

  November 2017  
SMTWTFS
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
     
This Week's Events
Bible Search
Contents © 2017 St. Bede Episcopal Chapel at the University of Miami | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy